Monday, January 14, 2008

Character of Christ

This week, I hope to spend some time thinking and praying about the character of Christ. The first attribute that I want to explore is that Jesus was a man of prayer. The only thing the disciples asked Jesus to teach them was to pray. His prayers healed the sick, drove out demons, gave sight to the blind, simply changed lives. His prayers were filled with humility, yet he also knew who he was and embodied that power. His prayers were simple, yet profound.

My prayers are often tied up in my thoughts of what a prayer should be. The old ACTS (Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication) often seems formulaic and programmed. Yet without it, my prayers are often selfish and powerless. I long for prayer that is not about "just me and Jesus," although my personal relationship feeds the rest of my life. I want my prayers to affect my family, my community, my world--to be about peace and justice and salvation and hope.

But is that really what it is all about? Do my prayers have any power? Or do I simply cast myself on the mercy of God? I believe that God longs for relationship with us just as we long for relationship with God, and as such longs to hear our prayers, just as we long to pray. It is in this partnership with God that we find strength. Strength for the day ahead, strength for the lives we lead, and strength--to pray. Lord, give me the humility and simple relationship with you that gives wings to my prayers. Let me walk in the steps of my Lord, let me pray as Jesus prayed.

No comments: