Sunday, January 6, 2008

New Beginning

Things are changing rapidly in my life. This morning is the first Sunday morning for the last seven and a half years that I have not been running around trying to get ready for leading worship in the local church. It seems so different to be part of the congregation rather than the pastor. Moving to this new position has been somewhat humbling, because I believe God has called me into leadership within the church.

Over the last few weeks, I have received so many encouraging notes--letters and cards from those parishioners who have expressed the impact God has had on their lives through the witness of me and my family. But moving into the chaplaincy in the Army will be a new adventure and opportunity to respond to God's calling.

Over the next few weeks, I hope to transform this blog into more of an online journal. I find that I have much more time to write and read and think now that I am not working in the local church. I hope that whoever reads this, if anyone will find in it not only food for thought, but the grace of God reflected through my writing.

I realize these paragraphs are somewhat disconnected, but I have much to say and this will help me to clear the processes of my mind.

As I read the Bible this morning and considered the coming of Jesus, an event recognized by the kings of the east, I contemplate my recognition of what it means to have the King coming into my life daily, moment by moment. I want to recognize God as a constant presence, yet often, I know he is there but don't sense it or dismiss it without a second thought. Oh, what a wonder it is to have the Creator of the world at my right hand! Yet what a wonder it is to simply dismiss Him as though he did not exist.

I read a poem this morning by Elizabeth Basset which spoke to my heart and speaks my prayer to God:

My God, I desire to love thee perfectly,
with all my heart which though madest for thyself
With all my mind, which only thou canst satisfy
with all my soul, which feign would soar to thee.
With all my strength, my feeble strength, which shrinks before
So great a task and yet can choose naught else but spend itself
In loving thee.
Claim thou my heart,
Fill thou my mind,
Uplift my soul and
Reinforce my strength,
That when I fail thou mayest succeed in me
And make me love thee perfectly.

No comments: